Home

Connect Me

facebookgoogle plusInstagramPInterest

Sundaikkai & Methi Leaves Sambar

Sundaikkai & Methi Leaves Sambar

Sundaikkai & Methi Leaves Sambar
Turkey berries & Methi leaves has immense health benefits & flavor. Both of them are widely used for those who are suffering from diabetes and kidney related problems. Combining them and cooking in a clay pot with turmeric, sambar powder, coriander powder and other spices from your kitchen gives this drool worthy "Sundaikkai & Methi Leaves Sambar"
Pin:https://www.pinterest.com/pin/402931497894718577/




Sundaikkai & Methi Leaves Sambar

Whenever I get a chance to visit buffalo street in Little India, Singapore I just remember Mylapore market in Chennai. I really don’t miss my hometown when I come here and I will get almost all of the vegetables & fruits here. I also don’t miss my ghee roast :) and coffee in Komala Vilas which is there in the same street.


Sundaikkai (Turkey berry) and Methi are some of my regular veggies in my shopping list whenever I visit Little India.We get turkey berries in our nearby grocery shop at times as they are used in Thai cooking also and they are named as “Pea Brinjal” or "Mini Eggplants". Methi on the other hand is available only in Little India for me and whenever I visit I just don’t buy for me but also for my friends who stay near by my place. Sometimes the shopkeeper used to wonder why I buy so much ;)

Getting back to the recipe, to get the perfect juice and flavor of turkey berry you must slit them into two else the taste differs. For methi on the other hand we use only the leaves as the stems does not get cooked and consuming them is quite difficult.


Ingredients
Sundaikaai/Turkey Berry – ½ cup
Methi Leaves – ¼ cup tightly packed
Boiled and mashed Dhal – ½ cup
Tomato – ½
Tamarind – 1 lemon size
Turmeric – ½ tsp
Sambar Powder – 2 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Musturd – 1/3 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/3 tsp
Dry chili – 1
Hing Cake – 1 small piece
Oil – 3 tsp
Salt to taste
Curry leaves – few
Coriander – few
Water – 400 ml

Measurements
1 tsp = 5ml
1 tblsp – 15 ml
1 cup = 237 ml

Sundaikai Methi Sambar
Recipe Cusine – Indian | Preparation Time – 10 mins
 Cooking time: 25 mins |   Serves : 4 | Gas low



Preparation
1.       Slit the sundaikkai after removing the stem. Do not cut them into two.
2.       Wash the methi’s. Soak the tamarind in water and dilute it.
3.       Take a claypot (or any normal cooking pan) add oil and hing cake. Let the hing cake get cooked.
4.       Add mustard,cumin seeds and redchili.
5.       Add the sundaikai’s and let it fry for atleast 3 – 4 minutes.
6.       Add methi leaves.
7.       let it fry.

8.       Once both of them are fried add tomatoes, turmeric, sambar powder, coriander powder, salt and mix well. Let it fry for a minute.


9.       Add tamarind juice, curry leaves and remaining water and let it get boiled.

10.   Allow it to boil for around 8 – 10 minutes so that the raw smell of tamarind is cooked well.

11.   Add cooked dhal and stir well. Cook until the sambar thickens.
12.   Garnish with coriander leaves.
Sundaikkai & Methi Leaves Sambar



Notes:
All the turkey berries must be slit else you cannot enjoy its actual taste and flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment